2015年11月16日月曜日

"You're not you."

Just saw the movie, "You're not you." with Hillary Swank.
I went to see it just because it's about a woman with ALS.
Swank is not necessarily my favorite actress, and I didn't do much research before going.

As the title appeared on the screen, I was a little surprised,
because, unlike me, I hadn't checked the original title,
and didn't know it was so different from the Japanese title.

In Japan, foreign movies are often given Japanese titles when they go on screen.
Sometimes, they are same as the original, such as Star Wars and Back to the Future,
but often---especially when neither the original as it is nor literal translation works---
distributors create titles that may be more appealing to Japanese audience.

So, this one was titled
"In place of a good-bye."

In a way, it was misleading.
With this title, I had imagined that the movie was about the woman's life with ALS,
and what impact she leaves on her private caretaker.

But, no, that was not the focus, and it was so expressed in the original title.

"You're not you." was about 2 women who were hiding their true self,
and came to rediscover and reveal it through their friendship.

So, it appeared to me ALS was just a setting in this movie, which I didn't buy.

ALS is a disease that affects patients quite differently from person to person.
Maybe Swank was doing a good job in her role of a woman described in the original novel and the scrip, but her condition was totally different from my husband's, or any other patients I've ever seen.
I only hope that people wouldn't assume that ALS symptoms always develop like that.

Another thing that bothered me was a stereotypical way of depicting rich people as pretentious and nice on the surface but not very caring, while people who are not established are more down-to-earth.  I don't think the world is that simple.

I liked the movie,  "The Theory of Everything",about Stephen Hawking and his wife.
Compared to that, "You're not you." was a disappointment.



0 件のコメント: